Sometimes it happens that you have many chores in your to do list when you wake up, but not able to do anything right. Today was such a day for me. It happens with all of us. Don’t mind it!!! Maybe its for something better, right?😊Anyways, today I was not in a mood to spend hours in kitchen and cook. I did a quick search in my refrigerator. There were no packed up leftovers of yesterday’s dinner also to save me😒…usually i have leftover rice or dosa batter that comes as a lifesaver to me. That’s when I noticed a pack of mushrooms which were going to be expired soon. I know that there is a pack of frozen peas also in the freezer. So I planned to make a pressure cooker mushroom peas pulao which is easy to prepare and lighten my mood too.
Mushroom Peas pulao is a very quick and easy recipe to save your time on busy days. It can be cooked in a pressure cooker and it takes only half an hour to get this pulao ready. This goes well with a cucumber raita and pickle. If you want to try something different from ghee rice or jeera rice that goes with a spiced chicken gravy like chicken kurma, mushroom peas pulao is a great recipe. I love one pot meals like this with the goodness of veggies in it. Its mild flavored and hence kids will love it.
- Mushrooms sliced 1 lb (500 to 600 gm)
- Cloves 4
- Cardamom 3
- Cinnamon stick 1 inch
- Onion sliced 1 small
- Ginger 1 tsp
- Garlic 1 tsp
- Green chilli sliced 3
- Green peas ¾ cup
- Turmeric powder ½ tsp
- Garam masala 1 tsp
- Basmati rice 2 cups
- Hot Water 3 cups
- Salt to taste
- Vegetable Oil/Butter 1 to 2 tbsp
- Coriander leaves 1 handful
- Soak basmati rice in water for 30 mins before using it and drain the water.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Once it is hot enough, add the whole spices numbered 2 to 4 and saute until fragrant.
- Add onion, chopped ginger, chopped garlic, green chili and saute until onions turns translucent.
- Add the mushrooms, turmeric powder and salt and cook uncovered in medium to high flame until mushrooms are almost cooked and water is evaporated.
- Add the green peas and saute for a min. Add garam masala and mix.
- Add basmati rice and stir fry for a few minutes. Now add the hot water, a handful of coriander leaves and enough salt.
- Close the pressure cooker with its lid and when the steam comes out profusely, put the weight and simmer the stove for 5 mins. Switch off the flame. Open the pressure cooker after 15 min/after pressure releases( whichever happens first) and fluff the rice. Mushroom peas pulao is ready.
- Garnish with the coriander leaves. Enjoy mushroom peas pulao with raita and pickle!
- Any variety of mushrooms can be used for making this pulao.
- Wash mushrooms well before use. Squeeze out water thoroughly.
- The quantity of water used is 1.5 times the quantity of basmati rice.
- When you add salt in step 6, the water should taste slightly more salty. It will balance when the rice boils.