When it is so easy to make vegetable stock at home, why to buy the canned ones. I like to use this homemade vegetable stock as a base in my soup recipes and gravies. I have already shared the recipe of my easy creamy mushroom soup with homemade vegetable stock. It just needs chopping the vegetables of your choice, and simmering it with water for about an hour or so.
I like to use vegetables like onion, carrots, beans, celery, potatoes, tomatoes, garlic etc. to prepare the stock. I roasted the vegetables except tomato(as it turns soggy) in olive oil for 2 to 3 minutes before adding water. This is an optional step. This stock can be refrigerated for a week or can be frozen for two to three months.
Ingredients:(Yields 8 cups)
- Olive oil (optional)
- Onion chopped 1
- Carrot chopped 1
- Beans chopped 6 to 7
- Celery chopped 1 stalk
- Tomato chopped-1
- Potato chopped 1
- Garlic cloves 1
- Pepper powder 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Bay leaf 1 (optional)
- Water 8 cup
- In a stockpot or deep saucepan, heat oil and roast all the vegetables(except tomatoes) on medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes until the veggies are softened.
- Add chopped tomatoes, water, pepper powder and salt and bring it to boil. Now cover the stockpot/saucepan with a lid and simmer it for an hour.
- Using a large strainer/colander, drain the vegetables and stock in to another saucepan. You can just mash the vegetables with the back of a spoon to filter out any stock remnants in the veggies. Discard the veggies.
- You can use any veggies that suits your taste and kind of dish/gravy for which you are using it..
- You can add fresh leaves like parsley, cilantro etc. for added flavor.