It was a lazy evening and was drizzling outside. It is not a surprise for me that I get in to baking mood on such cool and cozy weather. Is it the warm air filling the whole house from the hot oven the secret driving force?:) Or did I notice somebody visiting frequently in to the snack department !!! Whatever be the reason, I felt like I should bake something yum…
I decided to bake a French yogurt cake which is a good lemon flavored snacking cake. This is a very easy cake which was baked by every French family in earlier days. I made up my mind to bake it. But the yogurt cake needs yogurt right? Not sure if I had some plain yogurt left. I did a quick search hoping to find at least a little left…To my surprise, a tub of Greek yogurt came to the rescue… so I baked this yummy French yogurt cake for our evening snack with Greek yogurt replacing plain yogurt and flavored with lime zest. This is a delicious treat from Dorie Greenspan’s cookbook.
This cake is best served warm. It can be served at any time of the day and is a perfect snack. The traditional French yogurt cake is flavored with lemon zest. You can flavor this cake with zest of any citrus fruits like lemon, orange etc. You can brush the top of the cake with lemon glaze for an added flavor. Enjoy it with a cup of hot coffee or tea…
Do try this delicious cake and let me know your feedback. If you try it, tag me #bethsyummygarden on Facebook and Instagram…
French Yogurt cake:
- All purpose flour 1 cup (130 gm.)
- Ground almonds ½ cup(60 gm.)(can omit ground almonds and use ½ cup all purpose flour)
- Baking powder 2 tsp.
- Salt a pinch
- Greek yogurt/Plain whole milk yogurt ½ cup
- Sugar 1 cup (200 gm)
- Eggs large at room temperature. 3
- Any flavorless oil ½ cup (120 ml)
- Grated zest of one medium sized lime /lemon
- Vanilla extract ¼ tsp.
- Confectioner’s sugar 1/2 cup
- Lime juice 1 tbsp.
French Yogurt Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350 degree Fahrenheit/180 degree Celsius, 10 minutes before baking. Centre the rack in the middle position. Butter an 8½” x 4½” loaf pan and line with parchment paper.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together all purpose flour, ground almonds ( if using), salt and baking powder.
- In a large bowl, mix lime zest and sugar. Rub them together with your fingertips until the sugar is moist and aromatic.
- Add yogurt, eggs and vanilla extract in to the sugar-lime zest mixture and whisk vigorously until it is well blended.
- Still whisking add the flour mixture and whisk until well combined. Do not over mix the batter.
- Now add oil and fold in using a spatula.
- Pour batter in to the prepared pan and smooth the top. Bake in the preheated oven for 50 to 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and top of cake is golden brown.
- Let the cake cool for 5 minutes in the loaf pan before transferring in to wire rack for further cooling.
- To make lemon glaze, in a small bowl, mix confectioner’s sugar and lime juice until smooth.
- Brush lemon glaze on top of the the baked cake.
- If you omit ground almonds, use same amount of all purpose flour instead.
- You can flavor this cake with zest of any citrus fruits.
- I used vegetable oil. You can use safflower oil, canola oil etc.
- You can substitute Greek yogurt with plain yogurt.
- This cake is best served warm.
- It stays fresh in room temperature for 2 to 3 days if stored in an airtight container.
- I skipped lemon glaze on top of the cake.