Now that Christmas is approaching I am more in to a baking mood. Christmas season reminds us of the fruit cakes with soaked dry fruits right? Since few years that I started baking, soaking dry fruits in rum, baking fruit cakes and sharing it with family and friends has become a part of our Xmas preperations… In my childhood, I used to love all family and friends visiting us at this time of the year:) My eyes were on the yummy fruit cake that they would bring with them. There used to be a big stock of fruit cakes to snack on for the coming few weeks:)
Are you wondering why am I talking about Xmas fruit cake here while my post is on walnut cake? I had some leftover rum after all the dry fruit soaking I did for Xmas cake that I used in this Walnut cake. The specialty of this cake is its deep nutty flavor from the walnuts and the rum added really complements well with the vanilla flavor which leaves a lasting love for this cake.
This cake has just the right amount of sweetness that makes it perfect to snack on or to serve to your guests. Recipe slghtly adapted from French Country Cooking by Mimi Thorisson. Thanks to my cousin sister for sending this recipe…
- Unsalted butter softened 5½ tbsp. (80 gm)
- Walnuts 1 cup (150 gm) + 5 walnut halves for decorating the cake
- Granulated sugar 2/3 cup (130 gm)
- Eggs large at room temperature 3
- Dark rum 3 tbsp.
- Honey 1 tbsp. +more fore dizzling
- Vanilla extract 1/2 tsp.
- Salt a pinch
- All purpose flour sifted 1/3 cup (40 gm)
- Corn starch 1/4 cup (30 gm)
- Baking powder 1 tsp.
- Confectioners sugar
- Whipped cream for serving(optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degree Farenheit/180 degree celsius, 10 minutes before baking.
- Grease and flour a 9 inch cake pan.
- Finely chop the walnuts or pulse it in a food processor to get coarse crumbs.
- Using a hand whisk, mix all purpose flour, corn starch, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Using a hand mixer, cream butter until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time and beat well. The batter may look curdled. That is okay, it will come together.
- Add rum, vanilla extract and honey and beat until combined.
- Add the fine ground walnuts in to the wet mixture and beat just until combined.
- Fold in the flour just until combined.
- Pour the batter in to the prepared pan and bake in a preheated oven for about 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Before serving the cake, sprinkle powdered sugar on top of the cake through a sieve and serve…You can serve it along with a dollop of whipped cream too.
- You can bake this cake in a 7 inch bundt pan for 40 mins as in the original recipe.
- You can pulse nuts in a mixer. Do not over-process nuts as it may leave out oil. To avoid this, add 1 tbsp all purpose flour from above measurements to the nuts and process it in a mixer/ food processor to make coarse crumbs.
- You can serve this cake with a dollop of whipped cream.
- Depending on the pan size, baking time varies. Always check for the doneness by inserting a toothpick.