Here in BYG, today I have a very tasty chicken cutlets for you. This is a perfect appetizer or snack recipe for everyone be it a kid or a grown up. You can enjoy it with ketchup or challas or make it a light meal. If you have burger buns, these cutlets can be enjoyed as a home made burger. These cutlets freeze very well. So you can make the cutlets in advance and freeze them. Just thaw them and fry it when you need them.
I used to make our all time favorite beef cutlets always until I tasted these chicken cutlets from a friend. I got the recipe from her right away and now a days we make it more often. If you like more snack recipes check these yummy chicken donuts or kerala style meat puffs.
Ingredients: (Yields 12 cutlets)
- Chicken breast cubed 350gm (cook chicken breast with 1/2 tsp. pepper powder and salt and mince it. Yields about 2.5 cup minced chicken)
- Onion thinly chopped 1 big (makes about 1.25 cup)
- Green chili thinly chopped 3
- Curry leaves chopped
- Ginger thinly chopped 1 tbsp.
- Pepper powder 1 tsp.
- Garam masala 1/4 to 1/2 tsp.
- Oil 1 to 2 tbsp.
- Salt to taste
- Potato 1 big (boil with salt)
- Bread crumbs 1 cup
- Egg white 1 to 2
- Oil for deep frying
- In a pressure cooker, cook chicken breast cubes with 1/2 tsp pepper powder and salt for 2 whistles. Alternatively you can cook in a pan adding some water. Once chicken is cooked and cooled, pulse it in a mixer/food processor to mince the chicken. Boil potatoes with a little salt and keep it aside.
- On medium flame, heat 1 to 2 tbsp. oil in a pan. When oil is hot enough, add chopped onion, chopped green chili, chopped ginger, chopped curry leaves and a little salt and sauté until onion is translucent.
- Add pepper powder and garam masala and mix well. Lower flame if gravy sticks to the bottom.
- Add minced chicken and mix everything well and cook for about 5 minutes until all moisture is evaporated and mixture is dry. Switch off the flame. Taste check for salt. Let it cool.
- Mash boiled potatoes and mix it with the cooled chicken mixture and form a smooth ball.
- Roll the chicken mixture in to round balls and shape the cutlets as desired.
- Beat the egg white and dip each cutlet in egg whites followed by bread crumbs.
- Heat oil in a pan. When it is hot enough(drop a tiny piece of bread crumb in the oil and it should float), deep fry the cutlets in oil on both sides for about 4 to 5 minutes. If oil turns very hot adjust flame.
- Chicken cutlets are ready. Serve it with ketchup or challas.
- You can freeze the cutlets (in step 7 or step 8) for using later. Thaw them and continue the rest of the steps for frying cutlets.
- You can add thinly chopped veggies like carrots or beans to make it more nutritious.
- You can add egg yolk also while mixing mashed potatoes to the chicken mixture.
- While mincing chicken make sure not to make a paste.