This is our recent favorite pudding recipe. I have made it quiet a number of times since this recipe has reached my hands. I got this pudding recipe from my sister in law sometime back. It was in my to do list for a long time. This pudding can be made without much cooking involved. You just need to mix all the ingredients and refrigerate it for a few hours. When you are pressed for time, this pudding is a great dessert option to make ahead and serve later.
This coconut milk pudding recipe calls for grated coconut. The canned coconut milk that we buy here serves most of our coconut milk needs. So in my first trial with this recipe , I went on with the canned ones, but I was not fully satisfied. The original coconut flavor was still missing. So recently when I got hold of fresh coconut, I tried this pudding again and the taste and flavor was outstanding. The light and soft texture of the pudding along with the combination of vanilla and coconut flavors makes this pudding a perfect dessert. I assure you that it leaves a light feeling after a heavy dinner.
You can serve it with a praline topping for a crunchy bite and the caramelized nuts makes this pudding tastes very yum.
- Grated Coconut from 1/2 of a medium sized coconut( 1.5 cups/140gm)
- Milk 2 cups (about 500 ml)
- Gelatin 3 tbsp.(Read Notes)
- Condensed Milk 1 can( 397 gm)
- Granulated sugar 2 tbsp.(optional.Use it if you prefer a very sweet pudding)
- Vanilla Extract. 1/2 tsp.
- Boil milk and let it cool to room temperature. Stir in between to avoid forming a thin film on top of milk.
- Add 1/2 cup warm water to grated coconut, squeeze well with your hands(or run in a mixer) and extract the thick coconut milk using a strainer.
- In a small bowl, add gelatin to 3 to 4 tbsp of cold water and let it sit for 5 minutes. Gelatin will set hard.
- Once gelatin is set, place the bowl in simmering hot water and stir the gelatin until it dissolves and form a clear liquid. Make sure gelatin is completely dissolved before pouring in to the milk mixture.
- Add condensed milk and thick coconut milk to cooled milk and mix well. Add gelatin and vanilla extract and mix well. Add sugar if you prefer a very sweet pudding. It is optional.
- Pour mixture in to serving bowls or in to a pyrex dish. Refrigerate it for 4 to 5 hrs or overnight until the pudding is set. Sprinkle praline on top of pudding and serve.
For making praline:
Make caramel by heating 1/4 cup sugar and 1 tbsp water and let it melt. When sugar melts and turns in to an amber color, add 1/2 cup of toasted nuts( almonds, cashews etc) to hot caramel and pour the mixture on to a parchment paper or aluminium foil and spread it well. Let it cool and harden. Now crush it using a rolling pin to small bite size pieces.
- You can make this pudding one day ahead so that it makes it easier when you are in short of time.
- Make sure gelatin is completely dissolved before pouring in to the milk mixture.
- Use fresh coconut for best results. You can use frozen grated coconut too.
- If you don’t get grated coconut, you can use 1/2 cup canned coconut milk.